Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Practice Blog Post

My name is Brittany Slay and I am an Elementary Education major. I am from Birmingham, but moved to Elberta last summer and got married in November. I am one of six children. My parents just could not take living four hours away from me, so they are actually moving to Foley this week just to be closer. I have developed a love for hunting and fishing ever since my husband has started teaching me. I worked at an elementary after school care program when I lived in Birmingham. I loved getting to see “my kids” every day and making an impact on their lives. I have parents of children that added me on Facebook just to tell me that their child misses me, and that just melts my heart and makes me feel so loved. I chose to become an Elementary school teacher because it is such a rewarding field and I absolutely love children. I cannot wait to start teaching children. I just want to help make a positive impact in their lives, because that is what I feel teachers should do during their practice. A teacher can be so much more to a student than just their teacher. There are some students that might view their teacher as a role model, someone they can talk to, someone who pushes them to better themselves. That is the type of teacher I want to be, I want to really push my kids educationally and morally. My future students will leave my class with better manners, social skills, positive views on their education, and hopefully much more knowledge than when they came to me. My passions are to make a difference not only in the lives of my future students but also in the field of education. I hope to bring, or maybe further, the ability to teach in a variety of ways versus teaching in one particular manner. I want all of my students, whether they are visual, audio, or however they may learn best, to have the opportunity to learn the way that they like best. This quote by John Steinbeck is one that really describes my passion for teaching,
I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit.
Citation for quote: John Steinbeck. (n.d.). BrainyQuote.com. Retrieved May 27, 2015, from BrainyQuote.com Web site: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/johnsteinb122146.html Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/citation/quotes/quotes/j/johnsteinb122146.html#bB5j3WoK73bjSeCi.99

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Lower Alabama. I live in Robertsdale so I know exactly where you live. That is sweet of your parents to move to this area. I mean it is a great place to live.I am looking forward to read all of your blogs this semester! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your definition of what a teacher should be and the quote by John Steinbeck. That is the kind of teacher that I want to be as well. I am looking forward to reading more of your opinions about teaching and this class this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are well on your way to creating a wonderful teaching philosophy. Welcome to EDM 310.

    ReplyDelete